The thing is, i am so not a fan of the beets :). The smell and the taste has a way of making me turn the other way round every time i see it. Post a baby i am slowly warming up to this vegetable, not really by choice, but by the need to ensure my family eats all the food that is good for the body.
The baton to think and talk nutrition and nutritious food has fallen on my hands and so i am compelled to be inventive like a lot of the other moms.
I'm still on the look out for more ways of including beets in our diet but for now this is the way :)
1 Cup - Mashed potatoes
1/4 Cup - Beetroot, grated
1/3 Cup - Palak/Spinach, roughly chopped
1 - Onion medium sized
2 - Green Chillies, chopped fine
1 Tsp - Ginger-Garlic paste
1 Tsp - Salt or according to taste
4-5 Slices - Bread of your choice
Veg' Oil - For deep frying
1. Squeeze out excess water from the beets and spinach
2. Put all the ingredients except the bread in a bowl
3. Press the slices of bread together and soak it under running water for a few seconds, squeeze out all the excess water, as much as possible and mix it with the other ingredients. Mix it properly
4. Make it into as many ball as you want
5. Heat oil in wok. When its ready just deep fry these beauties in batches of 2s or 3s
Enjoy the Beet Balls hot off the pan with a bit of tomato sauce. I think i'll use a bit of lemon juice next time for some zing.