Doh Neiiong ~ Khasi Black Sesame Pork

For this weeks post, I'm sharing a Khasi Pork dish, Doh Neiiong.  The Khasi people are tribals from the state of Meghalaya.  Although I had stayed in Shillong, the capital of Meghalaya, for two years pursuing my pre-university studies, I somehow didn't get the opportunity to sample this dish.  The only Khasi dish that I was familiar with at that time was Jadoh, another pork dish that I intent to try out in my kitchen soon.  



Anyway, I had my first introduction to this pork preparation at a Khasi friend's place, here in Hyderabad, when we met up for weekend fellowship.  I've been very intrigued by the unique flavor of this dish ever since but never got around to making it, until recently.  Now, this is my go-to recipe, when I want some earthy flavor instead of  the zing of Naga bamboo shoot pork😃  




This recipe is from the book, The Seven Sisters: Kitchen Tales fom the North Easts, which features on of my chutney recipe😄  For this recipe, I've used local sesame seeds called Katuai in Rongmei.  While this recipe is intended for slow cooking, if you're pressed for time you can just pressure cook it.  It is super delicious whatever style of cooking you choose.  Stay at home, stay safe, stay healthy.  Happy cooking! 


Ingredients
1 Kilo - Pork, cut into pieces
4-5 Tbsp - Mustard oil
2-3 - Bay leaves
1 - Onion, medium sized, ground to a paste
1 - Garlic, whole bulb, ground to a paste
1 Tsp - Turmeric powder
4 Tbsp - Black sesame seeds, roasted and ground
2 Tbsp - Ginger paste
2-3 Cups - Water
Salt to taste

Method: 
Heat mustard oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Once the oil begins to smoke, add the bay leaves, the onion and garlic paste, one ingredient at a time. Saute on medium heat until the mixture is lightly brown.

Add Turmeric powder and stir to combine.

Mix 1/2 cup of water into the ground sesame and pour it into the pan, stirring all the while

Now, add the pork pieces and salt, give it a good stirring. Cover the pan and cook on low-moderate heat, till the water evaporates.

Add the remaining water 1/2 cup at a time depending on how thin or thick you want the gravy.

Once the pork is tender to your liking, add the ginger 5 minutes before you finish cooking. Give the dish a final through mixing and turn off heat.

Serve Don Neiiong hot with steamed rice.

Comments

Popular Posts