Crocodile Skin AKA Bitter Melon/ Karela/ Nkhonathoi Fry

A happy and blessed New Year, dear readers! January zipped passed just like that -- what is hppening? I hope this new year has been treating you well, so far. For me, the start of the year has been bitter-sweet. I'm having to let go something that I truely enjoy for something that demands more of me right now. It's bitter-sweet, literally!


Considering the state of my emotion at the moment, I thought I'll start my first post for the year 2019 with a bitter-yet-yummay dish. Karela/Bitter Melon or Nkhonathoi in Rongmei is the main character today. It's a side dish, a simple, fuss free, super delicious fry recipe. I was introduced to this recipe by my colleague from Mizoram. I absoltely love it, and I've been singing it's praise to anyone who loves some Croc fry. Yup, my son use use to call karela as crocodile when he was a teeny-tiny boy😃This recipe serves two person.

Ingredients:
5 tender Karela
1/2 Tsp - Smoked chilli powder
1/2 Tsp - Chilli flakes
5-6 Cloves Garlic, chopped
6+2 Tbsp - Vegetable Oil
Salt as per taste

Method:
Chop up the karela into equal sized pieces, keep aside
Heat about 6 Tbsp oil in a pan. Once the Oil is hot, put the karela in and sprinkle salt. Mix it up and let it cook covered for a couple of minutes.
Now, add the remaining oil, more if required. You want to put in enough oil to fry the bitterness away from the karela, but not drench it.
Once the karela begin to grow limp, add the chilli and garlic. Give it a good stirring and then cook coved on medium low flame till every bit of the karela is golden and niceeee.
In the end, what you get is a dish that smells amazing and tatse as great as it's aromar. Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts